Friday, October 12, 2007

Our new pets


I only have a little time to blog because as usual, both boys are awake and one is crying. This week has been crazy with sick kids. They don't sleep as well when they have colds. Bummer. So I washed the laundry on Monday and didn't get a chance to fold it until today, Friday. And now, if only I had a laundry basket, I could take it up in one trip. But I don't, so I take more like 5 trips. Lucky for me, more exercise. Maybe another reason I didn't get much done this week is that I finished the "Fire of the Covenant" and loved it. Adam thinks I'm turning into him, staying up all night reading. But it was worth it. Very good.


So as for our big news . . . We are now the proud owners of chickens. I always wanted chickens but I didn't think they would be our first pet. Adam and I and the kids went up the Alpine Loop to see the leaves (which by the way are still beautiful) and when the kids were asleep, we decided to get out to take a picture of just us using our self timer. That was when we heard the rustling in the bushes. Adam went to find out what it was and to our surprise, we saw two chickens. Adam went chasing after them all around the snow and leaves and bushes and stream and all else out there while Adri watched patiently and laughed. And to my surprise, he caught them. We stuck them in the back of our car because we couldn't let them get eaten but some other animal and planned to take them to Adam's uncle's home but he doesn't want even his 5 chickens so we took them home. We built a crate out of free wood which you can see in the pictures and feed them quite nicely. And Adam took the liberty of naming them Al and Daisy. And by the names, you might be able to tell that one is a rooster and one a hen. And Al does make quite a bit of noise. I feel like I"m living on a farm :) Just what I always wanted. But Adam keeps joking about eating our little pets. We'll see how long they last. Here are a few pictures!

Still beautiful as usual





Our chickens eating with Luke. (Dont' worry, I cloroxed the floor afterwards)




Smiley, chubby Jacob. And that makes him very fun to hols. As long as you've got muscles.





Luke with our chickens in their very own coop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far, I think Luke looks more like you and Jacob looks more like Adam. (Jacob looks exactly like Adam, plus cheeks.)

Robnz Fam said...

That's so awesome! I love your chickens, such a sweet family to bring them in like that! :-)
Have you named them yet?

Rachael said...

that totally cracks me up! chickens! i love it.

Melanie said...

So much fun! Luke is so handsome! I love chickens, and they look happy and right at home with you guys!