Tonight I am hosting the first Spencer 5th ward book club and I'm pretty nervous. I've never even been in a book club. But I like to read and our ward needs some things going so I decided to start it. I'm sure it will be fine. But so far a few people haven't liked the book I've chosen because of the swearing. What is your standpoint on swearing in books? Just wondering as I'm sure it will be a topic of discussion tonight. Wish me luck! Oh, and in case you were wondering, the book was the "Secret Life of Bees".
And tomorrow my mom comes tomorrow. Yipee. And this weekend, we (meaning just Adam and I and the kids) are flying in a little 8 seater plane to Adam's home in Brawley, CA because his brother just got home from his mission. I'm excited to see them but once again, a little nervous. You are always hearing about little planes going down. My only consolation is that at least we'll be together so we'll go together. If you don't hear back, we're gone :) J/K. I hope Luke will still love planes after this. We live by the airport and he's pointing out planes every 10 minutes or so and he won't stop pointing until you acknowledge that you saw it too. Funny boy :)
Better go clean. Kids are asleep and can't have a mess tonight.
4 comments:
Hope the book club went well! I started reading that book for my ward's book club but wasn't able to finish it because of a trip I took. I have mixed feelings on swearing in books. I think it all depends on the book. Not much of an answer I know. I'd be interested to know what your book club discusses about it.
That's the book for the ward's book club this month. I know Whitney L picked a different book because of the swearing in the one she really wanted us to read back in the day, but I personally don't have a problem with it.
I actually have a strong opinion about swearing in books. People use the excuse of hearing cussing on the news and everywhere around us. Yeah well I don't have a choice what people around me say. I do have a choose on whether I bring bad language or subjects into my life through books and movies. If there's a little cussing, alright, I just prefer my books and movies to be PG rated. That way I don't loose the Spirit while being entertained. That's why I just read books from the Teen section, but even some of those have bad stuff.
Hi Adrienne, its been a while. How have you been. I thought I'd leave a comment since you asked for some. As to the whole book club thing. My ward does not allow us to do a book "club". We have to do a book group, but that's besides the point. They recommended that if the books were not church books the Relief Society should not sponsor the book group. Our ward still meets on their own, but we do not announce it in church or anything. So I guess for a church group I do not know if I would do a book with swearing in it, if it is sponsored by the Relief Society. But if it was a group of friends, I would let the whole group decide what their stance was going to be on books. I've read books with swearing in them...but I guess if its sponsored by the church its a different thing.
Post a Comment