Thursday, October 7, 2010

Liberation Vacation

You might be wondering where I've been.  Or maybe not.  I'm not the most diligent of bloggers. 

But we did go somewhere.  Just Adam and I.  We took the most wonderful, fun, free (I'm not talking about money), educational vacation ever.  Can you guess?


We flew to Washington D.C., rented a car, and saw almost every historical (mostly revolutionary war stuff) between D.C. and Boston.  We were gone 8 days.  So wonderful!  My mom watched the kids (who got sick the night we left and passed everything to her.  2nd time this has happened.)

Day 0.  Flew in late at night to stay with our great friends the Inmans. (in MD)

Day 1.  D.C. memorials, library of congress, congress building, botanical gardens,

Day 2. Church at my old ward (grew up mostly in Maryland).  They changed the stake presidency which was great to be at because we new he and his family really well.  Also visited my old home teacher who is just so great.  Adam loved him.  He's a 79 year old Englishman and still working as a landscaper (with no hip I might add) who has lots of spunk.  and, he's got a great family we just love.  Also played the Wii so much this day I was extremely sore the next.  Who needs to go to the gym.  And I got to take Adam around to all the places I grew up and play more with the Inmans.  So fun.

Day 3.  More D.C.  Holocaust museum, Air and space museum, White house, tour of the Washington Monument.

Day 4.  Drive to Gettysburg, PA and see all that (Civil war battle).  Very great.  Bought a CD for the car so we'd know what we were looking at.  Drive to Philadelphia and stayed at a bed and breakfast.  Breakfast was frosted flakes in our room.  Made us laugh.

Day 5.  Independence hall (where the declaration of independence, articles of confederation, and constitution were signed).  Liberty bell, and lots of artifacts of the area.  Drove to NY City afterward (and found a parking spot).  Then walked a really long way through Central Park and saw a show off-broadway.  Attempted the Subway for the 1st time.  Really not that hard.  Slept at my old roommates apt (lovely Reb).

Day 6.  Slept in and then took the Subway to Statue of Liberty.  Someone fell on the tracks and we had to get off and were really running late anyway.  Made it to the end of Manhattan island for a look at the Statue of liberty.  Had our caricatures made.  We look crazy.  Drove to CT to see a friend (QB), then off to another part of CT to see another roommate (Nicole) and sleep with them.  So fun.  Getting tired.

Day 7.  Drive to Boston and do the Freedom trail (2.5 mile walk around Boston).  Saw Paul Revere's house, Tea Party site, Old north church ("One if by land, 2 if by sea"), and lots of old graves of really famous people.  Slept at a hotel.

Day 8.  Got up and went to the Boston temple.  Very difficult to get to.  Then went drove by the Lexington Green (where the 1st shot was fired of the Revolutionary war).  Then, to the airport and off.

There's the short rundown.  I was going to put lots of pictures up but they're all on a thumb drive and the kids think it's a mini-sword and like to run away and stab each other with it.  The last one was found beneath Jacob's bed.  More pictures to come I guess.

Suffice it to say it was a much needed vacation.  And so fun.  I smile just thinking about it.

Now we're back into the swing of things and I'm on this cooking kick.  I've stocked the deep freezer with meats and about 25lbs of squash and lots of homemade bread.  This is our 3rd year with a garden and we're getting good.  The harder part is using everything.  That's my goal this year.  I have all sorts of zucchini recipes and spinach and try to use lots of corn.  That's what a garden is for, right.

9 comments:

whitney said...

Holy Toleto, what a busy and fun vacation! I'm so jealous of the kid-less time. It sounds just fabulous!

Holly said...

There's so much I want to say, but I'm feeling tired. I may have to come back later to share more. But one comment has to be said right now. Tell Adam that Egan would be proud. D.C. rocks!

Heather Wrigley said...

Sounds fun! If you need a hand cooking sometime, let me know. We're in this dinner group thing so I only cook like once a week now. I'll bring my peanut butter cup-less ice cream :)

Crystal and Rosario said...

What a fun trip! You crammed a lot in! How funny that the few times you ever use the subway and someone falls on the tracks and the whole time I lived there and took the trains all the time it never happened once.

Anonymous said...

We enjoyed seeing you! And what's this? Only one photo?♠

ashley said...

I'm exhausted just reading everything you did! But it makes me miss New England...fond memories :) It is nice though that everything is so close you can do so much in such a short amount of time.

Ashley Halsey said...

We're so jealous!

Holly said...

I came back to post more....finally. First of all, we need more photos! Second, I love that you guys match in the one photo shown.

I wish when I went to D.C. last year that we had gone to the air and space museum, but this is one stop we missed. :( Glad you made it!

Gettysburg seems very interesting. The cd in the car sounds like a great investment!

Frosted flakes for breakfast reminded me of Egan again. He loved the cereal at the MTC.

Did you hike up Bunker Hill in Boston? Jeremy and I did and it nearly killed us. And then we felt the effects for days following.

We also went to Paul Revere's house, but in the end I wasn't too impressed with the money it costs to go in. Oh well.

The Boston temple was built when Jeremy was serving his mission there. He, luckily, knew how to get there, but it definitely is out of the way.

Enough said yet? Thanks for sharing!

Rachael said...

Adrienne, in case you don't see it back on my blog, here's a URL for the book you were asking about: http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Childrens-Book-Treasury-Picture/dp/0679886478