We went on Vacation! My sister lives in Arlington, VA and she facebooked one day in late August that plane tickets were on sale. So, what was I to do but book some flights to go see her. (I should preface that with the fact that we have been saving for 2 years now to go see her so it wasn't totally out of the blue.) We went late Sept and had the most wonderful and perfect trip. My goal was to just have fun being together and to not need a vacation after our vacation and I'd say we succeeded.
Keeping with tradition, Jane and I got the stomach flu the night before we left. Adam had to pack but we did make it onto the plane with no episodes. And then, also keeping with tradition, passed the flu on to at least 6 people including my sister. Just so you get a real feeling for the trip. :)
Day One. Visit D.C.
| World War II Memorial |
And we visited the Air and Space Museum which is a must see if you have kids. They have a room full of science and learning centers.
Day 2
Visit the old ward (I grew up in Maryland and moved when I was 15.)
| The Harrisons. Our home teachers. The most lively and entertaining family you might ever come across. We just love them! |
| The Inmans. Such a great family! Miss them. |
We drove around and saw the home where I grew up. If you've never been to the East coast, the homes are a real treat. Utah doesn't have homes that can even compare. The homes out there have a presence. And a front door that you don't have to search for. And lots have porches. People don't have big fences and curbs. It's a much more open country and I love the feel. And I haven't even mentioned the trees or greenery. I'd better stop or I'll make myself want to move.
The rest of the days were somewhat of a blur but I have lots of pictures.
| At the Chesapeake Bay looking for shark teeth. We found about 15 and were so excited to show the kids' classes but they were not in the suitcases when we got home. So sad. |
| Jane swimming in the Chesapeake. Really warm. Warmer than the air that day. |
| Cooking with Kim to prepare for the tea party |
| The much anticipated tea party. Next time, boys are not allowed. Luke and Jacob didn't understand that manners are a must at a tea party and much to my chagrin, I'm not sure they have any. |
| They have a park by Kim's house where the planes fly over for landing. Dalton was very scared by them being so close. |
| We got our nails done. |
| And this is how we felt at the end of a long day. |
We also:
- Went to the National Zoo
- Arlington Cemetary and tomb of the unknown soldier
- Rode a boat on the Potomac to see the sights
- Saw the Star Spangled Banner and Lincoln's hat in the Museum of American History
- Went to the DC Temple
- Saw lots of Dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum
- Monuments in DC
- Toured the Bureau of Engraving where we saw bills being printed.
And a special thanks to Kim who took the whole week off and was an amazing tour guide and hostess :)
1 comment:
Oh my gosh! It looks like you guys had so much fun! I love it, the sign of a good trip is that you're exhausted by the end so I'd say you definitely accomplished that. I had no idea you had a blog!! Aaron sent me the link:) ADORABLE!
Post a Comment