So lately Luke has been throwing little tantrums every time I say "no" or when he gets frustrated and lately that has been about every 10 minutes. I think I should be the one who gets to be frustrated. So first he throws whatever is in his hands, food or fork, doesn't matter, (last week he almost hit the lady behind us in church with a pencil which then ricocheted and hit Jacob) and then throws himself backwards so he inevitably hits his head on whatever is behind him and crys for about a minute. If anyone is around, they feel bad for him hitting his head because they think that is why he is crying. I think it's because he isn't getting what he wants. Nevertheless, I don't know if I should console him and his hurt head. After all, he did it to himself and after about the 100th time, it gets old. Or maybe I should just ignore him when he does that. My only peace is when he's watching a movie or asleep. I hope this passes soon.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
5 comments:
Man I can relate to that. Sounds like Luke and Jesse would get along with each other very well. Jesse loves to get away from me and chase Joe as he is passing the sacrament. I don't know if I should chase Jesse or just let him go. If I catch up to him than he screams and that is even more distracting. It must be the age. Good luck! I know I need it.
When Bence started to thro things we gave him a little time out. We took him to his room and he had to stay there for 2 minutes. Not more then that because they still little. Or sometimes we would hold him in our laps and don't let him down for a minute or so. I read that if we put them for a time out in their room we shouldn't close the door- just make them stay in the room. We still doing this when Bence do something that he shouldn't do.
About sacrament meeting we never let Bence running around. If he wants to go out and he cries Daryl would take hom out and he would hold him and don;t let him go down so he would know that inside the chapel more fun to be because he has toys to play with. But if he goes out with daddy he can't even run around. We still have time when he would walk a little bit between the banches and he smiles to every single person:) but we try to not let him do it.
Abaout screaming thing... When he screams I because he didn;t get something that he wanted just don't even talk to him. If you do he would scream more:) That is how they testing us. If you don't care they would realize that they can scream we won't care:) It is hard to do it- i'm still practicing this:)
So good luck:)
i meant throw:)
we did several things:
1) ignored it
2) two-minute time-outs
3) every time abigail would scream, we'd take her outside, no matter how cold or hot ot whatever. we'd say "that's an outside voice. scream! scream!" and we'd all scream until she was done yelling, then we'd go back in and practice using inside voices. and if she yelled? right back out in the cold again. it was kind of a pain (we did it for a day or two) but i think it helped her to finally differentiate between what we meant when we said "no, we need to use inside voices, that's an outside voice."
and all my friends' kids went through a screaming phase too (they all seemed to be simultaneous) and after about a month they all seemed to spontaneously stop. i think it may just have been the discovery of volume.
Adrienne!! We just got your Christmas e-mail/letter. Dennison and I are so glad you guys are doing well (except for Luke's tantrums...). And I just spent 1/2 hour reading up on your blog. What an adorable family you have. We should be blog buddies:) dennisonrobin.blogspot.com Merry Christmas!!!
Post a Comment