Monday, May 11, 2009

Hopes of veggies and training chickens

We spent most of Saturday putting in our garden. We planted sweet corn, roma tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, tomatillos, habaneros, jalapenos, green peppers, cilantro, squash, zucchini, cantaloupe and pumpkins. It wasn't too much work and will supply us with nice fresh food until winter. The boys are really excited about carving their own jack o' lanterns this year.
Our strawberry patch will be huge this year if they don't die. 50 plants.

We planted spinach and peas a few weeks ago. We're looking forward to really good stirfry with the peas and fresh salads with the spinach.

Our foreman for when we were turning over the garden spot.

Luke likes to help the worms out by covering them with dirt if they get dug up.

Luke is such a big help now.
This was a lot of fun. Square eggs. It only took us 3 weeks to train the chickens :)
And they are so handy for when you can't find your dice for your board games.
They are actually really easy to make. You just need a box to pop the peeled egg into while it is still hot and then let it set up into whatever the shape the box is.

5 comments:

Heidi Gail Richhart said...

YAY for planting veggie and fruit gardens! i am so excited for you and your garden. I know that is probably weird. Anyhow i just blogged the last singles ward activity i was to the other night on Saturday! so when you get a CHANCE! go check it out.
Heidi

Debbie said...

Smart move planting that garden. Hope you get all you need for pico de gallo...

Kristyn said...

Adrienne!

We have been planting as well - although not nearly as much as you guys - and we have had most of them eaten up already. We were really sad. Apparently our bug spray is just sugar water. Your comment on our blog was so sweet! I've always loved you guys and I'm so glad you have a blog so we can still keep up! And for the record, you and Adam are always doing fun stuff together too - the piling everything up and going to the park days, the cubed eggs (hilarious!), etc. I wish we lived closer and could hang out but blogs will have to do till then! :)

jenn said...

That's funny. I really believed that you trained your chickens to lay square eggs for a second! We just started a garden for the first time this year. I'll have to hit you up for some good tips.

Little Farmer Family said...

Adrianne, I'm so glad I found your blog!! I think about you and Ben all the time. 3 huh?? That's great!! I just found out that I'm expecting #3 too! But shhh for now! :) Your kids are so cute!! Stay in touch!!